The Stone Deaf Kliptonite is probably the most innovative and interesting fuzz pedal that you can get today. This two faced pedal is one half harsh and heavy fuzz and one half tube style overdrive. The best part is that you can actually mix together these two sections using the mirror mix control to make some unique tones.
The base of this pedal is all about the fuzz. Using the volume cut/boost, fuzzy drive, balance, frequency and bandwidth controls you can easily set up this pedal to have any kind of harsh fuzz you would ever need. From vintage amp clipping to all out modern high gain screaming fuzz the Kliptonite has you covered. But equally you can use these controls to dial in tube amp like overdrive that just punches through the mix with a smooth and warm touch.
Mixing The Two
So you have found your sound between the fuzz and overdrive settings. But what if you want to change it on the fly? Afterall you have access to both sides might as well take advantage of that using the Mirror Mix control. How this works is that when engaged the percentage of drive to fuzz is flipped to give you the other side of the story.
Like a lot of Stone Deaf pedals the Kliptonite can be run with external expression pedals so you have more control in the moment than with any other drive. With the option of adding two extra pedals you can set up one for fuzz and the other for drive for up to the second tone changes.
Here's what Stone Deaf say about the Kliptonite Fuzz Pedal:
Kliptonite is a true Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde situation, sporting both a smooth and bluesy overdrive circuit as well as a rippin’ velcro fuzz, letting you go from mild to wild, simply at the stomp of a switch. Plus with the Mirror Mix, you can blend the two circuits for a wide variety of sane and insane tones. Now add in pin-point precise tone control via the Paracentric EQ, as well as on-the-fly tone sculpting or foot-controlled phaser and wah sounds via the optional Stone Deaf EP-1 active expression pedal and you have one of the coolest and most versatile dirt device currently on the market.
- Overdrive and Fuzz in one pedal - switchable via second footswitch
- Mirror Mix - dial in the perfect mix of overdrive and fuzz
- Highly sculptable Paracentric EQ - for perfect tones with any rig
- Phaser/Wah functionality via Stone Deaf EP-1 active expression pedal
- Top-mounted I/O
- Handmade in the UK
- True-Bypass switching
- Powered by opt. 9V PP3 battery or PSU (9V DC, centre -, 2.1mm, ~30mA current draw)
Combining a Paracentric EQ, Mix knob (between fuzz and overdrive), expression control and dual channel foot-switchable operation, the Kliptonite is one of the most exciting fuzz and overdrive combinations that you are ever likely to experience.
However, Kliptonite’s most unique feature is the ability to mix the overdrive and the fuzz circuits in parallel in either of the distinctive tone’s favour and switch using the footswitch in a flip-flop fashion between the two. So for example, you could set 75% overdrive and 25% fuzz, push the foot-switch flipping the signal to the other channel and then have 75% fuzz 25% overdrive.
While the overdrive can give you a creamy bluesy tone, the fuzz on this pedal is a velcro type fuzz, so don’t expect smooth endless sustaining notes, instead expect ripping, spluttery madness that’ll make your riffs stick out with true ferocity.
Add a Stone Deaf EP-1 active expression pedal to the expression input control and on top of the impressive regular tone shaping features, Kliptonite can also achieve wah, phaser and manual tonal shift tones as well as the ability to control your tone on the fly with your foot.